Thursday, March 9, 2017

Critical Commentary

      I read Baldwin's Criticism. He shares many of my criticisms in regard to the black characters being exceptional human beings. I strongly dislike Baldwin's attitude. Baldwin seems to have a strong, pre-existing dislike for Stowe, as if she was rude to him once and holds a grudge. He tears open every little imperfection he finds. I agree that the characters are displayed as paragons of virtue with only positive traits, but I disagree with his emphasis on the importance of... nearly everything he dives into. He says Stowe is indoctrinated by religion, the characters aren't black enough, and Stowe is intent on using fear to make readers against slavery. I would not at all be surprised if James Baldwin wrote anti-Uncle Tom's Cabin literature, or if he sent hate mail to Stowe on a regular basis. While he does have a point that the main characters are polished beyond reality, a thought I had not yet come to, I don't find any value in his other criticisms. "The aim of the protest novel becomes something very closely resembling the zeal of those alabaster missionaries to Africa to cover the nakedness of the natives, to hurry them into pallid arms of Jesus and thence into slavery." This is a stretch of reasoning with intent to make people believe that the book is too optimistic. This quote has me concerned that James Baldwin may be insane. The leap from Stowe providing baseless optimism to missionaries converting Africans to Christianity is irrational and I refuse to take Baldwin seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment